Friday, August 1, 2008

"Workplace diversity is a good thing, but explain why it can be a good thing." That's essentially what our Human Resources Management professor asked us to explain, why we felt diversity was a good or a bad thing, and whether or not we agreed with the articles posted. I feel that it is a good thing for businesses to have people of all diverse backgrounds--socioeconomic, religious, ethnic, racial, etc. How else can a business serve its community and thrive and survive if it does not meet the needs and/or tastes of not only its core audience, but its supplementary audience? It's always a comforting feeling to know that you can be helped by an individual who might be in tune with what your tastes or needs are, and diversity in businesses can help to achieve that.

With regard to statistics, I'm still working on the problems (I said this was one of those courses I'd really have to buckle down on), but I feel like I'm getting it, that it's not all in vain; so that's a plus. I don't know why it took me until college to finally figure math out, but I'm glad I am finally figuring it out. If I want to be successful in any sort of financial position, math is EXTREMELY important. It would be nice for the employer to know that I had computer savvy and perfect business grammar; but he or she would also want to know that I can handle the books, so to speak. So this is one area I absolutely must do well in.

Short-term financial management looks like accounting and business math all over again, so I don't figure I'll have much trouble in that regard, what with financial statements, FIFO/LIFO, and accounts receivable and payable.

No comments: