Sunday, November 4, 2007

This week's biology reading....

So as I've said before, I'm really enjoying environmental science in a way I never thought I would. But this week's readings were a bit hard for me to process (especially when I saw some of the pictures in the readings).

The first had to do with food production and how in some parts of the world, there are people who suffer from undernutrition, malnutrition (particularly in recently developed and developing countries), and overnutrition (particularly in developed countries and the U.S.).

Then the chapter on maintaining biodiversity (the species approach) was especially hard to take; to see what people have done to animals for either sport, skins, or other valuable resources is cruel and oftentimes demeaning to the animals. And if these animals are not left alone to fulfill their roles (or niches) in society, pretty soon, the picture will be grim for all of us. :( There were some pretty graphic photos, too; I actually burst into tears looking at one of them. It's made me seriously consider becoming a vegan in the future, but at present, it's spurred me to do some more research on my own in addition to what we cover in class. The great thing about the book is that there is a website link posted where you can look up more information on your own.

No comments: