Saturday, December 15, 2007

I said it before, but it bears repeating: there is a WEALTH of information on the Student Blackboard, particularly if you're an online student and do most of your communicating via computer. The different activities that you can get involved in, the financial aid information (saw a few scholarships I wanna apply for), student accounts: it's all at your fingertips with a few clicks of the mouse and a few strokes of the keys. This is how I was able to find out the library hours for all of the Berkeley campuses in New Jersey. Maybe one day when I'm visiting my sister in Brooklyn and I have some coursework to finish, I could travel to one of the New York campuses. And when my sister brings up the subject of school again, I'm gonna volley hard for Berkeley.

As for classes, I was pleasantly surprised at my grades this semester. Not that I didn't work hard (because I did), but I did have a little bit of trouble with some of my assignments. But thank goodness for the wonderful professors at Berkeley College. It really takes a lot to be a good professor. You have to be firm, yet understanding, making sure that the student really gets the information that you're giving to him. And my current GPA can really help me when I go to apply for certain scholarships. Another thing that will help me tremendously is getting involved in some of the student activities that I speak so repetitiously of (that's because I really want to be involved in some small way; but I guess I am with the student polls), because most committees want to know about your extracurricular activities and volunteer efforts. This is my third time in school, and as they say, I want the third time to be the charm. I want to go on educational trips and see sights that I can come back and share with you, the Berkeley students and staff.

1 comment:

jan said...

Assata, I was happy to read your blog regarding the wealth of information you've come to find on Blackboard. And as the Director of Career Services Online I just wanted to mention that you missed mentioning one more area of interest that everyone should take advantage of and that's the Career Center. As you might imagine I'm a big advocate of career planning and that's what my department is all about. So take a moment and check out Career Services Online. Choose the COMMUNITY tab, then pick CAREER SERVICES, then click on the tab for YOUR CAMPUS, there you'll see "Online Campus." Lots of great info for veryone.....Have a great holiday and SUCCESSFUL New Year.