Tuesday, October 23, 2007

I'm really enjoying the Berkeley Online polls, particularly this one on recycling. I'll be honest, though; recycling wasn't something that ever really appealed to me until my adult years. Before then, I'd just chuck my soda cans/bottles into the nearest trash receptacle. Then when I started understanding just HOW much plastic, paper, aluminum we waste, it serves us all well to take action. We need to start taking better care of the earth so that it can continue to provide for us (as I'm learning in my Environmental Science course). I'm also sadly learning the consequences of species competing for resources and dying off when the air, water, and food qualities are not satisfactory (having had to get rid of two dead goldfish in the past two days, after which I BAWLED). But maybe the other two will now have a fighting chance and survive long enough for us to get a tank where they can be their free fish selves. And if not, I'll know what to do in the future to prevent it from happening again. See how I can take even a tragedy like that and apply what I've learned in class? It's a little macabre when I think about it, though.

No comments: