Friday, December 26, 2008

Finding new ways to be ahead of the curve....

If you're an online student (like me) or considering online learning, there is a way to familiarize yourself the course material before class starts. When you first log on to Blackboard, you can print out the syllabus, what material the first week's readings will cover, and any supplementary notes that you can then study and read over once more to get the material fresh in your mind. This will then help you to contribute more significantly to any discussion boards that you have in that class, and it would really help you in any homework assignments you have. Then you would do better on any tests and have an excellent understanding of the material, which would certainly help you in the long run when you get out into the working world.

So which course material have I printed out? I think you know, but I'll say it anyway: statistics. I printed out the syllabus (for keeping up with the weekly readings, assignments, and discussion boards. The first chapter was actually pretty simple, so it'll be more of a review; however, the more complex topics are what I'll give more careful attention to this time around. As Professor Feinstein pointed out--and I failed to realize when taking statistics the first time--it is truly a different course from algebra, and this is where I may have made my mistake initially (in addition to not allowing sufficient study time). Of course, I intend to take all of my studies and courses very seriously, but this will help me to get a significant head start (particularly since I already have the book and can read the required chapters before the session actually begins).

No comments: