Thursday, December 11, 2008

Finance has been an eye-opener....

So we just discussed our weekly log that we've been keeping in Finance class, and the opportunity costs associated with what we've decided to spend money on. I discovered, first of all, that I spend WAY too much money on junk foods and/or snacks. Over the course of eleven weeks, I spent a whopping total of $165 on daily travels to the snack machine. This money could've been put to better use: better investments, paying down of debts, etc. There was no way that this benefitted me financially or health-wise. So I'm going to make it my business and my resolve to readjust and reexamine my spending and find ways to make my dollars stretch further and to acquire what I need. This is a great class for students looking for ways to spend and save money--wisely.

This would actually go along with what I'm learning about in the Healthy Cafe. We were talking about ways to save money and be healthy, and cutting down on junk food and replacing it with healthier snacks and drinks for the week would be one way to do this. For instance, if we spent 18.76 on lunch, we could take that same 18.76 and buy lunch meat, bread, juice drinks (or bottled water) for a week or two; and that way, we could reinvest any leftover monies into savings for a future purchase. This is what I plan to do in the very near future (tomorrow, to be exact).

No comments: