Saturday, October 18, 2008

Sociology can be maddening and interesting...

So this week we're discussing social learning theory (learned and biological behaviors), and it's interesting to note that in almost every society, women are almost always undervalued. In some societies, it's even illegal for a woman to know how to read. The most pervasive idea of all is that women are simply put here for the purpose of bearing children, keeping house, and looking pretty. This is reinforced consciously and subconsciously; "Boys will be boys" while "nice girls stay out of trouble". This ultimately means that little girls aren't expected to raise their voices in jest or in anger, while this type of behavior is "expected" from little boys.

However, what I read was particularly interesting with regard to one of New Guinea's cultures; it is the exact opposite in the Tchambuli culture. The men adorned themselves for festivals and kept house and performed the "traditional" roles that women performed, such as caring for the home and the children. The women went out and worked and hunted for food. When I read that there was a culture out there like that, I was shocked and intrigued. For so many years, we learn what our "roles" are in society; we are not used to having the norms challenged.

Putting together my financial portfolio is somewhat difficult. It requires forethought and planning, ranging from short-term financial goals to long-term financial goals. I know I'll be able to do it, though. I just have to consider how much I'm spending per month (or on a daily basis) and where I want to be in the next 5-1o years.

No comments: