Tuesday, October 7, 2008

How would you define culture?

So this week in Soc 410, we're being asked to define culture in our own terms. To me, culture is an expression of who you are and the way you're used to living: your norms, your customs, your beliefs, etc. However, it got a little tricky when I was asked to describe my family culture. My family's ethnic background is African American; however, we are so vastly different, even within the family unit. We have so many different beliefs, likes, dislikes, political views, etc., that it's hard to pin down exactly how I would or could define African American culture, even within the unit that I was born into. My brother isn't necessarily religious, but does express a belief in spiritual things; while my mother and I belong to practiced religion, but different organizations.

Even long-held views about the types of music we like, the clothes we wear, or the ways we style our heads of hair, get different responses from among us in the African American community. So Berkeley College, how do YOU define culture? We could even say that the school, itself, is a culture; we adhere to a certain cirriculum of learning, although the subjects we choose to sign up for may be vastly different. We then come together--either via classroom or the Internet via Discussion boards--and exchange these views and point out our similarities, as well as our differences.

In Finance, we were asked to calculate our debt using MSN's money calculator. While it turns out that I'm handling my debt obligations pretty well, I could stand to do more to beef up my savings for the future; as we all know, people are living well into their 90's and 100's and cannot afford the basic necessities. So by preparing now, we can ensure our futures.

No comments: