Saturday, January 19, 2008

I've been reading about effective communication in business, and I realize that I'm guilty of some of the communication blunders that are made everyday in places of business. One of the mistakes I make is unnecessary wordiness, which is to draw out a sentence or paragraph with unnecessary words, which makes the message ineffective. Am I embarrassed because of this? No, because you learn from your mistakes and you draw on your strengths and strengthen your weak areas.

Also, in sociology, we're discussing cults and their influences. I shared some of my own views about cults and got insight into other people's views, such as how they viewed certain organizations (I didn't know that Alcoholics Anonymous could be potentially viewed as a cult). I also learned that cliques in school could be viewed as cults, such as the "popular kids" vs. the "nerdy kids", and anyone daring to step outside of those unwritten guidelines or rules could be viewed in an unfavorable light (the 'cool' kid who sees something 'cool' in that 'geeky' kid).

CIS 125 is also very interesting; we learned ways to ungroup ClipArt, make adjustments, and then regroup the ClipArt. My only problem is that some of the ClipArt was unavailable, but Professor Bonofiglio suggested using similar clips if we could not find the exact ClipArt. So let's just say that while my dance Powerpoint lab project didn't have any of the same ClipArt, I did manage to find some similar clips (and might I add, I preferred my chosen ClipArt to the ClipArt in the project). But as a lover of dance, I have to say that either slide presentation would've drawn me in. I take tap, jazz, and belly dancing (and we actually had a flamenco workshop where I work), and so it would appeal to me.

No comments: