Friday, September 25, 2009

So, no syllabus yet for Retirement Planning...

However, I do have the chapters that I'm supposed to read, so I'll get started on reading them once I get my book. This will make it easier to do the assignments in a timely fashion so that I don't fall behind. The professor for Estate Planning has posted right up front that he expects almost daily attendance in class, and that late homework assignments will NOT be accepted. So anything short of death will not be considered a valid excuse for not having done the work for the week (okay, I exaggerate, but this is a real incentive to stay on top of the schedule set out in the syllabus).

When you think about estate planning, though, it makes sense to stay on top of things. Estate planning has to occur LONG before a person dies or is near death; it can't just be assumed that whoever is in charge of your finances (or you if you don't have a financial advisor) will acquiesce to your wishes with regard to how you want your assets split up and/or donated. This should all be done in writing and should be legally binding. For instance, if you are a single person and want to leave your family members money and/or other property upon your death, then you need to make that unmistakably clear. This will help you and your family members to avoid the disastrous consequences that often come with not drawing up a will and testament or some other document that names specific parties as heirs to certain properties and assets that you currently hold.

I haven't yet read the Drama book, but I plan to browse through it this evening when I get home. I have a feeling that this will be like the Fiction course; I'll quite possibly discover some wonderful stories that I've never read before. I wish all of the incoming students and graduating students much success this coming quarter.

No comments: