Saturday, May 17, 2008

So we're still discussing the decline of the American dollar in Finance. One of the things I brought out is that with the release of the economic stimulus payments, the government is probably hoping that it can pull this country out of its economic slump. One of my classmates brought out a point, too, that with the war currently being fought in Iraq, we thought that war would stimulate the economy, which would lead to the creating of employment opportunities for all. But then another student brought out a counterpoint, saying that during previous wars, the employment was pretty much need-based, with regard to building of tanks, shipping materials to the soldiers, etc. He then went on to say that that's not really needed in the wars being waged today, which leaves many unemployed, and thus the economy slumps further. It is scary to even think about, what with so many well-educated people who are still unemployed or underemployed in jobs that can barely cover their own expenses, much less the expenses of a family.

I finished my assignment in Management 220, as well; it was interesting to see the job descriptions that many of my classmates came up with, and they managed to touch on each of the five points (among them, job autonomy). I was going to use the example of a lifeguard that I saw advertised on one of the bulletins at my job, but I knew more about my own position, so I decided to go with that one instead. In terms of what employers are looking for in an employee or the right person for the job, I viewed myself in light of the job description I posted; and I realized something. While I have been doing my job and sometimes going above and beyond the call of duty, I could certainly be a bit more creative, and this is one area I intend to tackle.

No comments: