Thursday, May 15, 2008

Job descriptions, quadratic equations and the American dollar....

So this week in Mgt 220, we're discussing job descriptions, as well as skill value, task value, and other points related to a job or position that a person is recruited for. We had to list the skills, what made the job attractive, the autonomy of the position (minimal supervisor, motivated self-starter, etc.), etc. And it's interesting to me, because this is some of what I'll be considering in the summer in Human Resources Management--how to match the right individuals to the right positions. This, in and of itself, is a real challenge, because you have to make absolutely sure that the candidate that you select can do the job (much like the leaders of our nation).

In Finance 200, we are discussing the declining value of the dollar and its effects on the economy. When a dollar depreciates--or loses value--American businesses are less competitive and the products become cheaper; whereas in the foreign market, there is more of a demand for the product, and the foreign currency gains value. Conversely, when the American dollar appreciates--or increases value--there is more of a demand for the products in the American market, and companies become more competitive; and the value of the currency in the foreign markets drops.

In Algebra, we are now going over quadratic equations, which I actually understand with regard to graphing and assigning values. I cannot wait until we go over factorization and FOIL--First, Outer, Inner, Last. I have a feeling that I will do really well in algebra this time around, because I'm going over the information, doing the practice problems, and making myself understand it better. This will help me when I get to Business Statistics.

No comments: