Friday, February 19, 2010

Week 7 already?!

I really can't believe that we've been going for seven weeks. It's a good thing, though, that I've been keeping so busy that I've barely noticed that we're near the end of the seventh week. In three more weeks, I'll have to submit a final paper, as well as a weekly journal detailing the duties I had to perform during my internship, for my Business 482 class. Focusing primarily of the financial aspects and duties of my current employer has really opened my eyes to how important accounting and bookkeeping are to not only run a company, but to keep it afloat. An examination--and a thorough re-examination--of accounting policies and company procedures can help management identify the strengths and the weaknesses of the corporation, and how to minimize the financial weak spots as much as possible.

Also, in my Finance 315 class, we're covering bond (debt) instruments and how these are repaid. A thorough examination of the different types of bonds can help investors make the right financing decisions. The drawback with bonds, however, is that if a company is ever to go bankrupt, an investor may never receive any return or portion of his or her investment, as the company must paid all its other debts first; and then whatever is left over goes to the repayment of the bonds. Government-issued bonds are seen as more secure, as the government is seen as having the means for repayment. What I also discovered is that while some bonds may not be practical for earning returns, they may help in financing long-term retirement. The chapter also referred the reader--me--to different websites to see the different interest rates for different types of bonds. A good way to do research on one's own beyond the classroom. ;)

No comments: