Friday, February 26, 2010

In a little over a month....

This winter quarter will be over, and I'll be graduating. Time is going by MUCH too fast for me, but in a way I'm glad. I'll have my degree in Finance and be able to work in my chosen field. I am definitely glad I decided to go back to school and get my Bachelor's. There's just a sense of contentment and accomplishment that I'm feeling right now that I didn't feel when I didn't finish school the first time. When I worked for the employer prior to the employer I'm with now, I felt trapped in that position and in that job. And the manager even said to me that because I didn't graduate from college and didn't have a degree, this was why there were others promoted over me. So it showed me that employers still consider that "piece of paper" important....no matter what field you hope to enter into.

So when I took the job with my current employer, I knew I wanted to go back to school at some point and bring my skills up to date with the current workplace technology. I do feel that my going back to school has helped me with my current employer, too; I've actually been given more responsibility in addition to what I was hired for. This is the type of progress that prospective employers will consider on a job interview. So even if I have to stay in my current position a little longer, I don't consider it being stuck anymore. I feel that as my educational training increases, so do my responsibilities at work. And this keeps me from getting bored and listless.

Again, though, I wish was able to interact more with the student body in person (and more than just sitting with the students in the computer lab in the Newark campus, doing our homework). I hope to be able to come to a Berkeley campus one day and share my experiences face-to-face.

No comments: