Saturday, November 14, 2009

Lyubov Andreevna and "The Cherry Orchard".....

This is the current story we're reading for Drama, and I'll have to admit, I'm not really enjoying this one as much as the previous stories. However, one character is of particular interest to me: Miss Lyubov Andreevna and her fascination with her family's cherry orchard. As many of us have discussed, she is childlike in her behavior and seems to have a zest for life and for living, choosing to ignore her family's impending eviction/foreclosure.

What I'm learning, however, is that her perceived over-the-top happiness is a cover and a coping mechanism. She has had a lot of pain in her adult life, and retreating back to happier times--her childhood and where she grew up, for instance--is her way of dealing with the world. As I and the rest of my class read on, we'll see that something happens that may force her to confront the realities of life.

But it got me to thinking: Lyubov is not so different from any one of us. Many of us have ways to deal--or not deal--with difficult situations. We all have that "happy place" that holds some magic for us, where we forget our problems for a while. Maybe I'll come to enjoy this story more as it progresses.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I'm just browsing sites for the kids of Haiti.

I'm doing my part for a non-profit haiti group that spends their time to
creating an oppurunity for the kids in haiti. If anyone wants to give money then this is the site:

[url=http://universallearningcentre.org]Donate to Haiti[/url] or Help Haiti

They provide kids in Haiti a positive learning environment.

Please check it out, they're a real cause.

Please give

Anonymous said...

berkeleycollegeonlineblogger.blogspot.com; You saved my day again.

Anonymous said...

it was very interesting to read.