Thursday, October 1, 2009

Think of discouragement as a roadblock....

In my conversations with people, I've come to realize that as well-intentioned as their comments are about me going back to school, they can become roadblocks. When I decided to go back to school and I enrolled in Berkeley College, I was met with well wishes and congratulations. However, some people have made kind, but somewhat discouraging remarks, such as, "I don't see how you do it all" or "I know I couldn't do it". It's that type of thinking that makes me wish that they wouldn't say anything at all.

At the same time, though, it makes me more determined than ever to finish school and get a career in financial planning. And if some young person was carrying a courseload and working two jobs while caring for a dependent, I would encourage them to continue right on (and to go to Berkeley, of course). I also want to say to those who may have dropped out of college due to self-discouragement or discouragement from others, now is the time to get back into school and change your circumstances. This is precisely what I'm doing at Berkeley College. In going to my niece's back-t0-school night last night, what I learned is that the teachers love teaching, which means their students love learning. I even learned that one of my niece's teachers is currently in college right now, and I thought to myself, If it's important for this man to be back in school to round out his teaching curriculum, then I should be motivated to do my best in school, as well.

With that said, I hope to take advantage of the Academic Learning Program should I ever need to. It could've improved my Algebra grade tremendously, but you live and learn. So my message to you today is to remove all mental roadblocks--friends who criticize you for continuing on to college, family members who may not have finished their own college education, well-intentioned people who unintentionally make remarks that could dissuade you--and focus on learning.

No comments: