Monday, October 5, 2009

So far, so good....

I really am enjoying my classes this quarter and really enjoying the discussions that we've been having, particularly in my finance classes. I'm also seeing some of the same names associated with the finance classes that I'm currently taking and the classes that I've taken in the past. It was like one big class reunion, reading some the postings on the discussion board. And I really connected not just with the students that I've taken classes with in the past, but this time with the instructors; and I think it's reciprocal. Can't believe that Week 1 is done already. I've already submitted two assignments for grading; I hope I did well, as I tried my best. The one assignment that I submitted had to do with the ten common mistakes in estate planning.

Now I know that I've been mentioning what I've learned in estate planning quite a lot, but I cannot stress this enough: it is SO important to be prepared should you become incapacitated and need someone to handle your affairs. So many people either do not realize the importance of a will or legal document, or they assume that everyone will know how they want their property/assets split up upon their death. This is not the case; if there is no legal document stating how you want your affairs handled, the executor of your estate will handle affairs as he or she sees fit. And there really isn't any excuse; there are documents on the website that can help you in this regard. I'm excited to learn about these procedures, for I feel that they will help me not only in my professional field as a financial advisor/planner, but also in my own personal financial endeavors.

Same thing with retirement plans and social security; I'm sure that many understand that in this day and age, social security will NOT be enough to get you through your retirement years. So it is necessary to put aside monies in a savings account, but also to have a suitable retirement plan that meets your retirement needs. And there's no time like the present for planning. Even if you're past the prime of your youth, so to speak, you can still plan ahead for the future. "Better late than never" is certainly applicable in this instance; you don't want to not plan ahead because you feel it's too late.

No comments: