Wednesday, May 20, 2009

I feel great!!!

I just got my grade back for my last Access assignment, and I got 4 out of 4 points on the assignment. Also, I got a 100 on my last feminism GHA. This is really making me feel good, seeing the outcome of all my efforts and hard work. I'm also working to keep up with the assignments for my finance classes, as well.

Speaking of feminism, I didn't think I'd like the class when I first switched into it; I went into the class with the assumption that I knew what feminism was all about, and my perception was mainly negative. But reading the material and measuring myself in regard to the situations presented in the chapters really gave me a different and better perspective and understanding of true feminism. While feminism is concerned with the equal advancement of women in the workplace and elsewhere, ultimately, feminism is concerned with equality for all people--whether male or female, regardless of race. At least, that's what I'm getting from the material that I'm reading each week. This week, we're discussing women in the workplace and how there are still huge disparities in hiring practices for women in certain male-dominated fields. We also discussed how even though women may enter into fields that are largely dominated by men, they may still face sexism in regard to advancement and types of work and pay that are offered to them. So while we have come far, we still have a long way to go.

No comments: