Saturday, September 6, 2008

This week's statistics....

This week, we learned about correction of continuity and approximating the binomial distribution by using the norma distribution. You use the normal distribution by following these steps:

Verify that the binomial distribution applies
Determine if you can use the normal distribution to approximate X, the binomial variable.
Find the mean and standard deviation for the distribution.
Apply the appropriate continuity correction. Shade the corresponding area under the normal curve.
Find the corresponding z-scores.
Find the probability.

Do I know what all of this means? I'm still working on it, but I have tried out some of the problems using Excel, and this week I used it on my homework. It worked out exactly as it should, although I'm still trying to understand the concept of it all. I did take this point away, however: approximating a binomial distribution is concerned with finding the approximate number; it either has to be greater than/equal to or less than/equal to the number to its left or right.

No comments: