Saturday, April 12, 2008

As I already knew, algebra is the one class I'm going to have to really, really, REALLY bog down on. I had started some of the problems this week, but I'm still having some difficulty. So I posted a question on the Discussion Board, and one of the students gave me a setup, so I'm going to apply it and see if it works. Boy, I'd forgotten how much work it is to keep up with readings, assignments, and discussion boards--but it'll definitely be worth it in the end, when I get that diploma before all of my family and friends and a huge smile on my face that reads, "I did it! I finally did it!!!"

In my finance class, we're covering familiar territory, as well as venturing into new territory with the material. Also, I must say that I find the readings easier to keep up with and understand, particularly with regards to holding shares of stock and interest rates and subjects of that nature (being a first-time stockholder for the past few months, that is). I'm also becoming more familiar with the ways financial institutions raise money so that they can keep their interest rates competitive and attractive to potential investors.

In our Management class, we learned about ethics and profits with regard to companies, and how we have to take into consideration such things as cultural norms and customs, long-term effects, and social responsibility. The book posed a question that we do well to consider: Should we always take the ethical approach, even if it initially hurts us financially? Or do we take the unethical approach and lose a few dollars here and there, while retaining the bulk of our profits? Can a company be both ethical and socially responsible? These are just some of the questions we do well to ask ourselves as these will ultimately affect us at some point in our lives.

No comments: