Saturday, February 16, 2008

This has been a really rough week for me, as I'm moving into a new house and trying to complete my coursework for the week all at the same time. I did manage to keep up with my sociology and philosophy readings, but I am hurrying through my CIS 125 assignment, because I'm a little behind, and I don't want a zero for my grade. So I will be working diligently to assure that that doesn't happen. As for my business class, I need to complete that assignment, as well. I'm so tired, I wonder how I'm even typing on the computer.

In sociology, we learned about groupthink and what it means in terms of how a group proceeds with an assignment or task: good or bad. And we looked at groupthink in terms of the Iraq war, the Bay of Pigs invasion, stem cell research (should we throw the baby out with the bad cells, so to speak?), and Hurricane Katrina. In each instance, we discovered that major catastrophes could've been avoided had the red flags been heeded and concerns taken seriously. But groupthink can also apply in the workplace, in terms of going with a medical or financial plan simply because the higher-ups suggest it and no one dares to question it. This makes me think of what happened with regard to Enron; it seemed as though the employees trusted (and understandably so) and fully supported (some would say "blindly") the company, only to have their life savings wiped out.

No comments: