Thursday, February 7, 2008

So we're reading and submitting summaries about race and sex bias in the workplace in our sociology class. It'll be pretty interesting to read what the other ladies have to say about this topic, but as for me, I definitely have seen myself in some of the situations that were mentioned in the articles. I won't get into specific details, but if I had known then what I know now about what steps to take to fight discrimination, I would definitely have fought harder for what I felt I deserved in terms of pay and promotion. Thankfully, once I graduate from Berkeley, I will be armed with that knowledge, and hopefully I will be able to impart these pearls of wisdom to my 'girls' (my nieces).

And in philosophy, it's become pretty obvious that Professor Bronson expects us to argue and to refute each other's arguments. This is a tricky area for me, because I'm not the argumentative type. If I see a discussion reach what I feel is an impasse, I usually just walk away. Not in philosophy, you can't!!! You really have to prove and stand by what it is you are saying. It's a challenge for me because I'm a naturally shy person, and again, I don't like to argue. So it's gonna require me coming out of my shell more. But hey, this IS college, and you have to change a little to adjust to the environment around you without totally losing who you are.

No comments: