Friday, April 16, 2010

I FINALLY got my cap and gown....

It took two trips to Berkeley College in Newark (because I'd misread the email about when I could come and pick up my regalia), but I finally got them. Also, the graduates who are getting their Bachelor's get a decorated hood to go with their graduation regalia. When I got back to Newark the second time, I could see people coming and going with their caps and gowns. And once I got to the Student Center, things were in full swing.

It was pretty simple, actually; I stated that I was there to pick up my cap and gown. I was asked for my name and they were able to find me on the list. The girl distributing the caps and gowns sized me up--literally--pretty quick and said, "You're about five feet." She also said she'd be there the day of graduation to help me out with the hood just in case I had trouble putting it on. And I thought that was it, but I was invited to sit down and have food and mingle with other students. There was a lot of laughter and good feelings--and why not? This was definitely something to celebrate; we'd made it.

The lady taking class pictures kept me cracking up during the entire process. And when she was done, I was given the card and the login to access my pictures online in about three weeks. It was an all-around good feeling; I'd wanted to mingle with other Berkeley students, and finally I did.

No comments: