Wednesday, August 26, 2009

My informative speech this week...

So this week, we have to prepare informative speeches for Oral Communications. I chose to discuss credit and how it works; the information I hope to share is how credit--and how we choose to use it--can affect every aspect of our lives. I don't want to tell my classmates what they should be doing; I would rather let my findings speak for themselves, which is essentially what an informative speech should do. So I'm gonna gather up the information, practice it in front of the camera a few times, then submit my video. Hopefully I do well and don't get as nervous this time; I've gotten better, though.

This week in Business Placement, we're discussing illegal interview questions. Illegal interview questions are questions that have nothing to do with the position the candidate has applied for, but is designed to help the employer with the screening process; if the employer doesn't like the answer that the candidate provides, he or she could use that as a basis for not employing said individual. This, of course, is not legal, and candidates can either choose not to answer the question or skillfully learn how to answer the question without directly answering it. A candidate can also answer an illegal question with a question of his or her own, such as: Does any of this pertain to my ability to perform the job that is being asked of me? The interview is supposed to determine how you will fit in with what the company needs, not as an interrogation.

No comments: