Saturday, June 27, 2009

Final discussions and next quarter...

So our final discussion in feminism was regarding feminism in film. I cited three films where I felt that women were portrayed as real, having feelings that many of us in the real world have. I talked about such films as "The Accused", "Waiting to Exhale", and "Juno". I think a lot of my classmates could totally relate to the title character portrayed by Ellen Page, because she didn't represent some cookie-cutter image of young teen girls that are often seen in teen movies regularly. In my experience, the only way that the girl gets noticed--or receives any type of respect--in these movies is not because of her intelligence or what she brings to the table in terms of personality, but it's usually her looks. Interestingly, Page's character is pretty, but not in a conventional way. It's her personality and smarts that attract her suitor to her initially as her best friend; their relationship dynamic changes when she learns that a one-time "encounter" has resulted in a pregnancy. The film also touched on the issue of choice: should Juno abort or carry the baby to term? What I liked about this film--and I shared this with my classmates--is that the choice was totally Juno's; once she'd made up in her mind that she was going to carry the baby to term and give it up for adoption, she was supported by her family. We were all able to come up with a movie or two that we felt related to feminism in one way or another and showed a woman either on equal footing with a male counterpart or being supported by a male figure in her life to achieve what society tells her that she cannot.

I also was able to share what I learned and took away from my finance class; I was able to realize that financial management is important in all that we do, whether it's simply to manage our personal finances or it's to run a business. We cannot do either without first learning where to start. This course was a good one; I only wished I'd done better on the last GHA. I got a decent grade, nonetheless.

I also learned a lot from my CIS 203 class dealing with advanced databases. I learned that if I should ever go into business for myself, I'll know how to keep an organized record of customers/clients and how to get rid of any records that have no use.

No comments: