Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Thank goodness for your classmates...

What you may not necessarily understand, another one of your classmates may pick up on. So I discussed how I'd run into a snag in my last Access homework assignment, because while I got the results that I needed, the finished product didn't look like the professor's proof. So when a few of my classmates got the same result as me, I realized that I didn't do anything wrong, that I actually did what the book said. The SORT order of the table was alphabetical by last name, and not by Student I.D., as shown in the proof. So I changed it in my database, and what do you know? It came out exactly as shown in the professor's proof. I have to thank my classmate for discovering this; otherwise, I'd still be racking my brains, wondering what I did wrong.

In feminism, we're discussing women's voice in society, particularly with regard to sexuality. One of the readings we had to do was with regard to lesbianism, and how lesbians are not only disregarded because of being women, but because of their sexuality. They are either regarded as part of the female community or part of the gay community, both of which are largely ignored by men (and to some extent, women who still hold to traditional views of femininity). From the writer's perspective, while she is both gay and female, lesbians are a unique group and should not be made to melt into subgroups, but to stand out and be counted.

No comments: