Thursday, February 26, 2009

Verbal tones and cues....

This week in Sociology, we're learning about verbal and nonverbal cues. The discussion question deals with how you perceive someone based on their tone of voice and speed of speech. Do you judge people based on how fast, slow, loudly, or softly they speak? Well, my response is that if someone approaches me and they appear somewhat stern and sound somewhat annoyed, then more than likely I'm anticipating a confrontation. Of course, many times I've misjudged, and they're just coming to ask me for something, but sometimes I'm right and brace myself.

On the flip side, because I'm a soft-spoken individual, many people feel that I'm a pushover and that they'll get their way. However, my soft-spoken tone can take on a firmness that lets a person know that unless they come to me in honesty and explanation, then I will stand by my company's guidelines and regulations.

This week in statistics, we're going over the z-curve. This is the one chapter that has really stumbled me the last time, but thank goodness I have the notes and I have the practice sessions on the computer to really help me understand the information. I really want to do better in this class this time around, and I really feel that I will with the method of study that I've assumed.

No comments: