Friday, February 20, 2009

The limits of language continued....

So I was reading some of the other comments from my fellow students in my Intercultural Communication class, and the professor and one other student pointed out that the "limits of language" are not necessarily limited to just learning about other languages and cultures. We can have subcultures right within our own culture; for instance, the youth culture has its own set of rules and speech that they tend to follow, which adults often fail to understand. We can bridge the gap by attempting to understand adolescents and the way they speak and relate to each other. Slang was another topic that was brought up; for instance, many words that were once used in a particular way in the English language are now used to mean other things. So this is a really interesting discussion board topic that I'm learning a lot from.

I cannot believe that we're in week 7 already; in five more weeks, we'll be starting a new quarter. And speaking of which, if you haven't done so already, you might want to fill out your FAFSA either by paper or on the website (it's much quicker that way). So get to filing your taxes so that you can apply for financial aid. The sooner you take care of it, the better off you'll be, financially and academically. I've already completed my taxes, but I definitely intend to take care of my FAFSA over the weekend. I do not want anything to be a deterrent to my being able to take classes.

No comments: